Wednesday, January 13, 2010

keeping up with the KardaCians

Little Bee's first day at school went without a glitch. On the first day itself, the husband suggested that Little Bee should take the school van instead of us sending him. Of course, I was a bit apprehensive, knowing how distractive Little Bee can be but when the husband said that we will follow behind to check on him (or rather his behaviour), I agreed.

When we arrive at the school, there were not many parents around. I saw one mother sitting on the floor next to her daughter with her face slumped on her mother's lap at the corner of the classroom and judging by the look on her face, she must have been exasperated.

I scanned the room and saw Little Bee sitting comfortably on the floor doing brick puzzles and he looked somewhat at ease. He looked quite happy and seems not bothered with the alien surroundings. Ah, the very characteristic of an ADD child, it must be.

I'm so glad that Little Bee has managed to adapt himself so well in kindy and I must say, I am grateful that his kindy had accepted someone like him. I wish for all kindies to have special class for special kids. They deserved to be educated and not ignored and we are very far behind in understanding special needs children ie the difficulty learning kids, the hyper-active ADD/ADHD kids, dyslexia kids, autistic kids. These are kids who look normal physically but with disorders and I assume these are the very reason our government didn't take them seriously.

Why would I say that? Because our Prime Minister's wife is making great effort channeling money to build special school for the geniuses instead! I wonder if she's aware that there are special needs kids like my son for instance who also need the same kind of school for special needs? I consider my son fortunate because his parents could afford to send him to private kindy and rather expensive one at that (not trying to brag here) but what about those kids from hard-core poor and lower-income families who can't afford to send their kids to private kindy?

Meanwhile, Kak Ngah is in Year 3 and Kak Long is in Year 6. Gosh, can't believe how grown up they are especially Kak Long. She is about 2 inches shorter than me and still grows like a giraffe. Pretty soon, it would be me looking up at her instead of the opposite. Sigh. She had been telling me that some of her girlfriends had been experiencing some form of haemorrhage every month and she kept on asking when will her turn be. I jokingly told her that she should be enjoying her period-less before BFF (best friend forever) crosses her path and turn her life upside down for the next 40 years!

Kak Long had also been sternly reminded that this year she isn't going to be on honeymoon mode. She has to eat, sleep, talk and shit books all day! And Sergeant Mom had been entrusted by General Dad to keep Kak Long under close watch, in case she tries to flee from the drill. LOL!

As for me, life goes on as usual and I have Facebook to thank for.

These days, when I'm not watching the kids as often as before, I'm always there.

Almost everyday.