Friday, February 02, 2007

Writing a letter

It is a dying art in a brink of extinction. When I was a young girl, I wrote letters to my mom (I was closer to mom than dad) and my pen-pals telling them my stories, worries and dreams and it felt like some kind of huge burden lifted off my shoulder when I was able to tell them those. And it felt even better when I received replies from them telling me to pull my strength together and to keep going when the going gets tough.

Those letters kept me going when I was living in a strange place far away from my beloved ones and getting letters like this made me feel secured and relieved knowing inside that I wasn't all alone in this world facing all sorts of problem a teenager would. I was a rather angry rebellious teenager coming to term with the news that my parents were going their separate ways and that being sent to a school hostel in a sense they believed I could concentrate on my studies were reasons enough for me to pour my hearts out freely to people that I willingly trust.


But our life has been simplified in many years to come. Thanks (or no thanks??) to modern technology, the use of internet along with the invention of e-mails, cyberchats, photopages and weblogs has certainly supersedes the old dying art of letter writing. We no longer write letters to our friends or families. The longest letter we write nowadays is probably a job application, a wedding invitation or a birthday card to someone special or fill up tax questionnaires from LHDN. We even have mobile phones with the capability of sending text messages and capturing pictures of the moment so who needs to write letters huh?


It is such a boring and an arduous task to undertake. Ask that from any teenagers you know and I bet the answer is yes.