Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thelma & Louise



Out of the blue, I received YM from a dear friend who hasn't been in touch with me for quite some time. I fondly call her Enon (tapi jangan panggil dia Mak Enon sure dia hangin kang). Enon and I met while we were working in the same company many many years ago before being offered the VSS.

We were the hottest and grooviest chicks in our department (or so we like to think). Enon is also very much younger than me but that was not a problem. We get along very well. We work, we lunch, we do shopping and watch movies together, in fact we do everything together except the loos. We were like bosom buddies, that's how close we are.

But things didn't always end up that way forever. After some time when you grow a little older, you realise that you need a different kind of friend to go into the next phase; married life. That's exactly what happen to me. I got married. In my late 20's. The thought of biological clock ticking thunderously and the prospect of becoming the great old spinster was so overwhelming if I didn't take the plunge and that's when I decided to get married when I finally found my Mr Right. The timing was just perfect.

It was a joyous occasion shared with family members and closest friends but at the same time, I can't help feeling a tinge of sadness for the day I got married was the day I lost my bestest friend. It wasn't just the friendship but the togetherness in doing everything. I was a wife with major commitments in life, having to care for another equally important human being. Life changes drastically when the offsprings came on board. My time, energy and devotion were spent on them alone. We seldom call each other, me with my busy married life and she with her single working life. Slowly, we drifted apart. But we do still keep in touch once in a while but the closeness wasn't there anymore.

Till now, Enon is very much the swinging single (and ready to mingle..hehe) and still searching that special someone. I feel sorry for her coz I really want her to be happy. I really want her to get married so that we can share the same level of problems and issues married couples deal with. When she ym-ed me this morning, it was to tell me that she had moved on to another company because of a personal thing. I jokingly ask her about the nasi minyak thing, she just sighed. Her standard reply; tak jumpa orang yang sesuai lagi. Enon is not so lucky in the love department.

Its hard to find an eligible (and responsible) bachelor these days. I could almost hear Enon's biological clock ticking from here. Sabar lah Enon. Kalau dah jodoh tu tak ke mana.