Tuesday, February 23, 2010

grey matters




Uban uban
Go away
Come again in 20 years time! (wishful thinking...)

The proverb, you reap what you sow totally rings true in my case. All those years of dyeing, bleaching, perming, straightening and the latest, rebonding had taken its toll on my crowning glory. Damn, I'm only into my early forties but my hair is so full of them - those shiny, annoying, itchy strands of grey hair what else! 

I've been using all kinds of ingenious ways to cover my grey hair and one of them is dyeing the hair black with henna. I prefer to do it at the salon instead of D-I-Y coz I know its very messy and leceh-able to do besides I don't like to get my hand dirty. I will buy a few packets of black henna at the pasar malam and get the hairstylist to do it for me at a cost of maybe RM20 or something. 

Certain salons (the high end ones) will charge you exorbitant price which is another reason why I like to do it in a not so expensive salon. Lagi cokia salon tu lagi bagus. Cheaper that way. Ha ha!

The downside of using henna is that after the first few washes, your towel could become blackened as the residue from henna sticks to it which is why I set a sole towel  for this purpose. Its also important to cover your pillow with a cloth so as not to stain it when you sleep. This has to be done for several days until the stain no longer appears when you wash your hair. 

Of course, this process needs to be repeated at least once every two months or whichever is necessary coz henna is not permanent as chemical dyeing. 

And right now, I sort of highlight my hair in natural brown color just enough to cover those grey hair but as soon as it grows longer, new grey hair appears at the root. Again. Sheesh!

So much for grey matters.

*Yours truly should just accept the fact that grey hair is part and parcel of ageing and no one will escape it. She envies Rozita Che Wan's beautiful tresses and wonders if she could have one just like that. Fat chance lah!*