Wednesday, September 19, 2007

14 going on 40

Yesterday I celebrated my birthday; the BIG four zero! Nothing fancy or special. The husband just bought a BIG cake with four BIG candles and a slight nudge to remind yours truly that she wasn't getting any younger...sheesh! Thanks a lot dear for that kind words of encouragement. Just the thing I need to go thru this new phase in life. Boo hoo!

They say life begins at forty. What a load of crap! I say death begins at forty for this is the time when we are reminded to check our health every 6 months or so, eat more greens and avoid fat laden foods, exercise more, sleep less, less sex (say what?)....yadda yadda yadda. For muslims this is also the next phase where we should think and do more of the akhirat than duniawi stuff. There's even a malay proverb that appropriately described it - rumah kata pergi kubur kata mari.

Whatever it is, I should be grateful for I am still blessed with a good health (for now), a responsible and caring (in his own way) husband, wonderful 3 kids, what else could I ask more right? And then the husband gave a wink at me and said sheepishly, one more kid?" I gave him the look. Say what? Obviously he hasn't heard what the doctor said that getting pregnant in the forties might not be a good idea what with all the complications and what not.

And I wonder how Sheila Majid did it so smoothly. Pregnant in her early forties and she looked so radiant and glamorous some more.

Some women have all the luck. Sigh!