Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cerita puasa di bulan Ramadhan

Its that time of the year again when muslims all over the world celebrates the holy month of Ramadhan. I would like to take this opportunity to wish my blogger muslim friends a Selamat Berpuasa and Berbuka Puasa. May you all gain lots of pahala during this holy month.

Last year my eldest daughter had almost completed her puasa. She had only kantol'd twice, first on the second day of fasting when she complained of tiredness and second when she accidentally terbuka puasa before azan time. Not bad for an 8 year old who had decided to puasa full month that year.


I remember when I was about her age, I had kantol'd my puasa many times. When extreme thirst and fatigue crept in, I would sneak into the toilet (at home or school) in the pretext of gargling my mouth or washing my face when in fact I was stealing a few gulps.


I felt so freshened after a few gulps but afterwards, I felt so bad and ashamed of myself that I dare not look into my mother's eyes when she asked me if I was fasting. I was afraid that she would be angry and dissappointed so I just murmured a quick yes and dashed somewhere quickly hoping that she will not ask more questions.


I did the same thing to my daughter what my mother did to me. I interrogated her.

Whenever she came home from school everyday without fail I would ask her if she was fasting that day and she would curtly replied with a weak yes and ignored my concerned look. I wasn't satisfied with her answer and so I asked her again this time in a more polite and understanding manner.


"Kak Long, it's okay to tell the truth. I am not going to scold you if you break your fasting."

"I am fasting today lah ibuuuu..." she gave me that long weary look.

"oh ok, baguslah anak ibu nih...first time puasa penuh and you managed to tahan until azan." I was really proud of her dogged determination.

"That's good tapi kalau rasa tak tahan it's ok to break your fast...just tell me and I won't be mad...orait?"

Wait a minute there! Did I just encourage or discourage her with the puasa thing?


I guess I was just reminiscing my childhood days when I was about her age fasting for the first time. In that instant how I wish I could turn back the clock and tell my mum the truth without feeling scared.



I know she would understand.