Monday, March 17, 2008

You talking to me?

I am slightly concerned with little B's development. At 30 months old, he should be talking like a bullet train with increasing vocabularies. But he has not. He still babytalks and couldn't utter a single phrase of recognisable words that we could understand. Except for the occasional words - no and wow, that's about it.

So when we went for his hepatitis A second jab with his peditrician last saturday, the doctor himself was kinda surprised that he isn't able to speak like any toddlers his age should. He has a normal growth and weight which is hardly surprising because he has a voracious appetite. Despite that, he is not a chubby kid. He is also very active, always jumping up and about, every second that he is awake. That kid doesn't know when to stop. He likes to wreck things too. Everything that stands in his path will be destroyed in a blink. My living room always look like it has been hit by a tornado.

He has very little attention span. Many times, I tried to read him a book and after one or two paragraph, he'd become fidgety and wiggles like a worm in a heated pan. Fortunately, he has no problem watching cartoons on tv. He could sit there for a good hour, without changing his sitting position, chuckling at the sight of his favorite cartoon characters. This is also the time I could catch my breath ... pheww!

From my observation, little B is a loner kid. He doesn't seem to need friends around him. I attribute that as being the only son and also the smallest in the family, he has grown attached to me as I'm the one who has been taking care of him since he was born. So he has no direct contact with other kids his age besides his 2 primary schooling sisters. Despite his inability to talk properly, little B possesses other remarkable ability. I've seen quite a number of times how he arranged the dining chairs in a circle position, in a straight line position and sometimes in an abstract position flawlessly. He is also capable of stacking up objects according to its shapes and sizes and seem to be in deep concentration when he does that. And he also likes to dismantle the tv/astro remotes and has strong fascination with anything electronics.

So back to the doctor's visit, he has recommended us to see a speech therapist if little B still hasn't talked by the age of 3. That advice itself has got me wee bit anxious.