Thursday, January 11, 2007

Taking stock of your life




I've never been a bungee jumping or jungle venturing or cross the atlantic ocean swimming kind of girl. That's not how I define adventure for myself. The most important journey of our lives doesn't necessarily involve climbing the highest peak or trekking the south pole or carrying peace mission around the globe. The biggest adventure one can ever take is to live the life of your dreams and make it fullest.

How many times have you heard women who have suspended their careers or their deepest desires in order to accommodate everything and everyone else. The careless whisper that often comes in the form of emptiness and restlessness to finally get on with what you know you should be doing. It is easy to rationalise it - your husband and children need you most that their priorities are always on the top list, the ever demanding job that makes you miserable inside outside that demands so much of your time and energy but what really happens to your dwindling spirit when you work hard at something unfulfilling? It drains you, robs you of your life force. You end up feeling depleted, depressed and angry.

When you have decided to venture into the unknown territory, be prepared as you can always expect obstacles from all angles. The whole world will rise up to tell you who you cannot become and what you cannot do. Those around you will be threatened as you exceed the limited expectations they've always had for you.

And in moments of weakness, your fear and self-doubt will surely cause to falter. Remember that you can't get rid of the fear or doubt; you just learn to live with it, to ride its wave. The true measure of your courage is not whether you reach your goal, it's whether you decide to get back on your feet no matter how many times you've failed. Having the courage to stand up and pursue your dreams whatever it may be will give you life's greatest reward and life's greatest adventure.

And with all the pep talk I've been monologue-ing in this posting, what a great way to start this new year with something I've been mulling to do all this while; I've decided that I want to learn to bake cakes! - and muffins, cupcakes, cookies, the whole nine yards. Yes, you heard it right. It may sound so cheesy right? But why cakes? Why not some exquisite foreign cuisine like the French? or Moroccan? Or even the tribal dishes of our native people the indigenous orang asli?

Why not?

Because it's the simplest form of cooking and I have yet to master it. I have been married for almost 10 years and not even once my family ever tasted home baked cakes and cookies made with my two bare hands. All this while it's either ordered from the bakery shop or store-bought. What a shameful! I yearn to bake them special one of its kind cakes especially when my kids' birthday or my wedding anniversary is around the corner. I guess you could say, cakes baked and lavishly decorated from your own kitchen tasted even sweeter if it's made with lots of love.

P/S: Err did anyone has a recipe of lemon cheesecake? Pass it on to me will ya?