Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Signs you are entering pre-menopausal age


There was an episode some years ago on Oprah Winfrey showing how pre-menopausal syndrome exist in every women without us knowing what's actually hitting. There was even a book penned by a woman author who also happens to be a medical doctor carefully explaining the term and its symptoms. Pre-menopausal basically means having to do with the time before the onset of the big dreaded M! That particular episode was a hit with the audience mainly women and Oprah was so happy to announce that she didn't have heart attack as she had thought earlier on after knowing the facts of pre-menopausal symptoms. If you are a woman in your 30's to 40's it can happen so beware of the early symptoms.

Maybe I am in denial with my age but my body doesn't. So let's go through this checklist of what's been eating me lately. By my own definition these are supposedly signs I am entering into the labyrinth of another world called pre-menopause.
  • Forgetfulness - I have been forgetting stuffs I put aside and find extreme difficulty in searching it. I have to jot down messages/or details on pieces of paper and stick 'em on the fridge.
  • Grey hair - lots of it and I am seriously mulling with the idea of dyeing my hair platinum blonde like Anita Sarawak or Rosnah Johari. That would look cool and gives me another 5 years younger.
  • Back pain - which is why I seldom dukung my son more than 10 minutes cause it's killing my back or he's just getting heavier and heavier like a gunny sack of 20kg rice.
  • Poor vision - I think I need to have reading glasses for I can't see the fine printable lines less that 1 feet distance. I have to extend my arms straight to be able to read those. And it's bad enough cause I am also shortsighted...sigh!
  • Tiredness - I get tired easily after doing some house chores and needed to rest for a few minutes before continuing. I would look like a dead chicken slumped on the sofa after a hard day's work.
  • Young men and women old enough to be your kid sister or brother calling you makcik. Ehh..I don't really look that old pal!
  • When I get honked or flashed for driving too slow and careful. Hey...there are children in the car you moron! See lah the sign that says it.
  • Too many of 'not tonight dear coz I'm having a migraine' signs posted on my forehead when my husband came back from work with that grin look of his on every thursday night.
  • My music knowledge ended somewhere in the early millennium when I stop listening to the radio (unless if I'm in a car) and I have no idea who the current top singer is. Was it still the elegant datin CT on top of the malay song charts? or the tone deaf Mawi? or the effervescent Adibah Noor? Not to mention my eardrums hurt a lot too from blaring sounds of music played regularly in shopping malls.
  • I noticed that I fit in well in the company of fine mature ladies talking just about any subjects that deemed suitable for our age group and beyond and couldn't grasp some of the slangs youngsters used today in their daily sms chit chat with each other. (just tune in to channel @stro15, you'll get what I mean)
I supposed I could go on but I'm running out of list perhaps needing more time to pause and reflect. If you are one of those women who falls into the same category as I did, feel free to add more.