Friday, November 24, 2006

Monsters in the closet








How do we protect our children from these monstrous creatures? They appear to be normal and decent human beings. They are after all members of our family. Our own flesh and blood. 

Some carries the title of being a father, a stepfather, a grandfather, a brother or brother-in-law, an uncle and sometimes they are our childrens' teacher, neighbour, the husband to our female friend or a father/brother to our childrens' friend, people that we trust with all our hearts.

So it really disturbs and frightens me right down to my spine when reading horror stories from the newspapers, thinking hard why these people have done what they did to those poor children. What was on their mind? I just cannot fathom the atrocious acts they have done on these innocent children. Why? Somebody reason with me, please!

We used to think that they only exist in the western countries judging from the stories we heard in the news. Some of their life stories have been made into a movie. Yes, paedophiles do exist in our backyards everyone. They are everywhere. They are sexual predators lurking quietly beneath the exterior of unassuming people who can be nice, friendly and respectable in the community.

They come in all shapes and sizes and they rape and molest children and some even took pictures of their naked bodies for their personal collection. They are sick, demented and submerged in a world of their own. How do we spot the telltale signs of a paedophile ? We should be able to tell our children not to easily trust strangers even if they are our neighbours. We can never know.

I have two daughters and I always worry for their safety. My oldest daughter walks to school everyday to and fro and I always tell her to go with her friends whether she likes it or not. I always tell her not to speak to strangers; especially male, even if that stranger is a familiar and friendly person. And I told her not to accept any offer of ride from these people unless if it's auntie so and so who happens to send their children to and fro school.

This school holiday, Kak Long has been pestering me for a sleepover at her friend's house a couple of times coz some of her friends had been doing it. I simply refuse to entertain her request because I just don't feel like starting the trend at least in my household. I told her gently that it's not proper for little girls staying over in someone else's house just because everybody else is doing it. Why she asked? It's just not cool to do so unless our house is on fire and we don't have any place to camp out then it's ok to stay in someone's house.

How can I ever tell my daughter something horrible like monsters in the closet for I know she could never understand it at her age. 

It's not a safe world anymore.