Thursday, August 28, 2008

A monkey's tale


A long time ago, there used to be a bunch of wild monkeys hanging around in the seemingly quiet neighbourhood. They would roam aimlessly around the area, scavenging for any leftover food. Sometimes, they walk from one rooftop to another and when that happens, I will quickly rush upstairs to close all windows. The children will get overly excited whenever they spot a monkey or two. Although they looked fierce, they were never a nuisance.


After some time, it was normal to bump into these elusive creatures once in a while. We know they came from a nearby jungle. A jungle of palm oil trees that were once stood proudly in this vast land, also was their natural habitat. Little by little, mass deforestation of these trees to make way for development had driven away these beautiful animals into deeper jungle.


The monkeys weren't the only ones who stroll in the neighbourhood. Once, a baby wild boar was seen running on the road. I saw a few men (Indonesians I presume from language spoken) were trying their might to capture the little beast with a rope. It was like watching a tribal hunting game for in the end, the little beast was caught and on my mind at the time, I knew it was going to be their feast or else why would they took the trouble to catch it. As for me, it was the first time seeing a wild boar up close.


Somehow, I kinda missed their presence. Having them around also makes me feel that I was living in a serene kampung atmosphere, an environment that is free from the hustle and bustle of city life. There used to be heavy mist here every morning especially if it rains the night before and it was pretty cold outside.


Pictures below were taken some two years ago on a neighbour's balcony. That was the last time I ever saw them again.



sedang melontar pandangan jauh sambil menjamu selera



hensem tak aku? aku tahu aku hensem sebab tu ko ambik gambar kan...




sedang kopek apa tu bang?



why are you looking so forlorn my simian friend..

*above picture as usual was cilok-ed from google on SU