Friday, May 16, 2008

Gotcha!

Something quite alarming happened this morning. I received a text message from the husband informing me about a certain panggilan santau that had caused people to die senselessly. The message warned mobile phone users to not pick any calls that has unusual long number marked in red color.

The message also says that 9 people had died in Indonesia and 2 deaths were already reported in Puchong, Selangor. The MO (modus operandi) was, unsuspecting victims will pick up the strange call and by the end of the conversation (I assumed) he or she will be dead. Sounds familiar?

In jest, I texted the husband and replied "wow, ni macam cerita The Ring aje". If you had seen the movie, it has about the same MO except that the killer was a video tape. Then he replied that it wasn't a hoax and the news was out in the paper today.

I was of course stunned in disbelief. When news of something this magnitude appears in the newspaper, it was a cause for concern. Without thinking much further, I began to text instantly all my friends that had their names listed in my mobile phone. Even the kedai runcit where I get my supply of cooking gas was not spared. Some even responded it was true. Latest casualty happened in Kuang. That's very near my place. Unbelievable!

In the midst of everything, I decided to log on and catch latest news online. What a bummer! It was actually a hoax. So I texted the husband and asked him, exactly which part of the story in the newspaper that was true. He said he didn't read the paper, someone else told him. Sigh.

That's when I replied, we just got punk'd - by mobile phone!


*read the full story here.