Monday, September 24, 2018

Hello again



Thanks to all my friends near and afar who wished me a jolly birthday messages on Facebook few days ago.

May Allah SWT bless you all in abundance just as much as you wish for me in your silent doa.

Before I go on rambling I'd like to give a stern warning that this monologue might bore you to death. I shall try not to write anything cliche or corny stuff here.

So here goes nothing..

Ain't Facebook a great invention in the history of mankind. After karaoke that is. Another "leftover" from way past the 90s era and still making its strong existence in the era of social media hipsterism.

We should be thankful to Facebook because it has birthday reminder feature that we get to know our dear friends and beloved ones' birthday ahead of time. Facebook is like your personal assistant without having to pay its salary. You can praise or curse for all the world to see and yet it has no complaint against you. Awesome.

Seriously who can remember err let's say 500 mutual friends and acquaintances (that's my friend list by the way) birthdays effortlessly with a snap finger just like that? I bet not many of us do right. Heck, I don't even remember my kids cell phone numbers even though I call and text them like hundred times a day. Who needs to when you can just search them in your contact list. Makes you kinda take things for granted when life has become so simplified. It makes you lazy and dependable.

30 years ago when smartphone was a strange alien word no one has heard of, we the retro generation always rely on public phones to call someone and we do memorise their numbers by heart. But if you ask me today if I can instantly memorise like for example my sister in law's number I would just shrug off my shoulder with that sheepish smile. Of course I don't. She has like 3 different numbers for whatever reason and she is just a kindergarten teacher for goodness sake. Which is why I am forever grateful that my husband is not a building contractor. Can you imagine the chaos if he has more than 5 numbers lol.

Alright enough with the ramblings.

So what have I gain or learn so far from the many many birthdays that Allah has granted me mercifully even though I am so far away from being a good servant to Him for I have many many sins and regrets that I have yet to compensate them with complete submission devoid of worldly possessions. Pretty much nothing and something I guess.

Honestly, can we all live without technology? Fame? Wealth? Beauty?

I doubt so.

Truthfully I am just so weak a person can be. My iman is like the thinness of onion skin. I may have strong legs to run and flexible body to do all kinds of exercise but at the same time have a weak heart to dispel sins. I am such a hypocrite in that sense.

After reaching 51 years today I have learnt that wealth does not matter. Health does. Health is the most expensive commodity in the world. You can amass wealth by all means necessary but you can't buy health. You need to earn it. You need to invest time in it. Its a lot of hard work. Its never easy but its also doable. You will agree with me on this when you reach the middle age one day. I know I did.

And never ever for a second just when you think you had the best fitness, best stamina and youthfulness that is so commonly associated with exercise, you will never get sick. If you do then you are so vain. Because adversity can come in many forms. It strikes at you just when you least expect it.

Sometimes a little nudge is all you need to knock some senses in that thick skull.

And I learnt my lesson the humble way indeed.