Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Even responsible mom makes mistake too...

Although I may not be perfect in so many ways, I'd like to think of myself as being a responsible and doting mom to my kiddos. I was also willing to suspend my career (not like I have a super duper one) for them. I want to be there during their formative years. To hear their first words, to witness their first giant steps and to just simply watch them grow up. Every single moment of their babyhood and childhood that are precious to me is the reason behind my decision to be a stay-at-home mom. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world. After all they live as a child only once.

Okay, enough with this monologue thing. Just go straight to the point please!

Last monday was a harrowing experience for me. I made a careless mistake. Totally big. I blame myself for not monitoring Little B as I always have. Never underestimate the inquisitive mind of a two year old child.

I was totally absorbed in browsing the internet like always when I noticed that Little B was unusually quiet. He must be up to something this time. I began looking and calling him in the kitchen and living room but there was no response from him. I went looking for him in the bathroom. Nada. Then I went into the bedrooms upstairs searching for him under the beds and in the closets (he likes to play hide and seek in those places) and the linked bathrooms but found nothing. I began to feel worried and wondered where on earth did he go to. Its like he'd dissappeared into thin air.

Then I went downstairs and remembered there's one more room I hadn't checked. There he was behind the door holding something in his hand and coughing. At first I thought he had choked on something and immediately I carried him onto my lap made him sit up with his head slightly facing down and began patting harder on his back to remove whatever that it was in his mouth but nothing came out. The coughing won't stop and it was getting worse until I saw his reddened face and teary eyes. Only then I realised the thing that he had held in his hand. It was an empty bottle of Kak Ngah's bath oil. It was for external use only. Ya Allah! Little B had swallowed the liquid! I don't know how much. I was getting panicked but tried to remain calm as possible.

I inserted my finger inside his mouth and tried to tickle his throat to make him vomit but it didn't come out. Since he kept on coughing I gave him water to drink. The coughs didn't stop but Little B had become tired, probably from incessant coughing and crying. Slowly his eyelids became droopy and he dozed off in my arms within seconds.

I began to reach for the handphone and text messaged the husband to come home pronto. Too bad that he had just started work in a new company on the same day and the briefings he had attended to was abruptly interrupted by the news at home. While waiting for him to reach home I immediately called the emergency dept at nearby hospital and asked the nurse on duty what I should do in my son's case. She said she can't really tell over the phone and that she had to see my son in physical form and she advised me to hurry up. If there's a need to pump out his stomach content then so be it.

While doing all the above, I kept putting my hand on Little B's chest just to check if he was still breathing. Thank god, he was but his breathing was a bit croaky.

Long story short.

The good doctor checked his abdomen and found nothing serious. We brought along the bottle and after checking the ingredients he said there was nothing to worry about. It was non-toxic. The liquid paraffin that my son had swallowed also acts as laxative and will come out eventually when he pass motion. Just give him lots of plain water to flush out the liquid and he should be fine after that. Phewww! He also REMINDED me not to let it happen again. Hahaha padan muka!

Good advice doc!

Moral of the story (especially yours truly); Janganlah dok asyik berinternet je sampai anak pun lupa nak tengok ... isk isk! People, don't be like me ok?