Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Carpe Diem if you can

I just checked my foursquare check-ins on facebook recently and I realized to my horror that the world revolves around me is less than 50km radius wide! Its like living black and white  in Pleasantville (its the movie in case you don't know what it is..) back and forth going the same route and doing the same  mundane routine over and over again. Sigh.

What a boring dull life! 

A long time ago, I wrote about the 50 things I wanna do before I die. Some of the things I wish to do then I had accomplished them now and to tell the truth I had never ever thought of doing it before because of the "malas" attitude and also fear factor. Now that I had conquered the fear (not entirely yet hehe), I should be able to reach other things in life if I put my mind and soul to it. Its possible to succeed your dreams and aspirations if you are really serious about it and stick to it.


The 50 things I wanna do back then in 2007 (see list). 

  1. perform the ultimate pilgrimage for muslims - the haj
  2. visit the 7 continents and wonders of the world
  3. learn skateboarding or surfboarding (either one)
  4. be the 1st tourist astronaut to visit Mars
  5. meet oprah winfrey
  6. learn 1 or 2 foreign languages
  7. learn scuba-diving 
  8. learn to write feature-writing and become a good columnist
  9. treat myself to an expensive spa treatment
  10. attend andrea bocelli's performance of a lifetime
  11. learn to bake cakes
  12. do a duet with Josh Groban
  13. sponsor education for underprivileged kids
  14. do braces for my teeth
  15. do lasik surgery for my eyes
  16. do a major makeover
  17. do a liposuction
  18. buy a bigger house
  19. get my writing published in a form of a book!
  20. start my own business that I enjoy doing
  21. donate money to charity
  22. sponsor medical bills for people who can't afford them
  23. take a self defense course
  24. take pottery classes
  25. learn to play 1 or 2 musical instrument
  26. get a supporting role in a Steven Spielberg movie
  27. do exercise seriously and not just talking about it!
  28. grow a small but charming garden
  29. read as many books that I can
  30. buy an expensive dress
  31. learn how to sew well
  32. attend a live classical musical concert in Vienna
  33. invest in a stock market and become a millionaire
  34. be an inventor
  35. learn how to draw and paint
  36. learn how to skate on ice
  37. buy my dream car
  38. learn to swim and be a good swimmer
  39. do skydiving feat from 30,000 feet above sea level
  40. do bungeejumping
  41. live in a farm somewhere in Tuscany, Itali
  42. learn to fly a small plane
  43. learn to ride a horse
  44. go on a cruise ship
  45. take up photography
  46. learn bellydancing
  47. be a little more kinder and compassionate
  48. devote myself to a cause that I'm passionate about and volunteer for it
  49. learn to appreciate my imperfections
  50. do backpacking all over the world


Out of the 50 things listed above, I had done no 7, 13 (though the amount is so little huhu), 18 (Alhamdulillah for the rezeki given by Allah SWT), 27 (still doing it actively insyAllah), 29 (does reading catalogues count?) and 38 (still learning the strokes and techniques) and its still a long way to go from there. There are of course some things I will never be able to achieve even if I live to be a hundred but what the heck, you'll never know what you're getting at. Life is like a box of chocolate so says Forrest Gump.


(pic snagged from google)